Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Hand Prints~

For our parent gift for Christmas we made hand prints   I have only ever made them using Plaster of Paris, but decided to try to make them using salt dough.




Salt Dough:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Water

*I mixed up the ingredients and used plastic plates to flatten the dough.  Then each student made their hand print.  I used a straw to make the hole.  I let them dry for 24 hours and they still weren't dry so I took them home and baked them at 125 degrees for an hour.  This seemed to help, but I would recommend letting them sit out for a week before painting them.  We used Tempra paint and I added glitter to the paint.  We let them dry, then I sprayed them with clear spray paint.  The students picked out what ribbon they wanted and we tied it in a bow.  Last I wrote their names and the year on them.  



*Each student made their own wrapping paper using butcher paper.  Then I helped them wrap their gifts.  Hopefully they all made it home safely.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment